The knee joint consists of bones, which are connected by muscles, ligaments and tendons. The patella is a bone for the knee that slides up and down in a thigh groove when the knee bends and is straight again. There is a kind of cartilage in the knee that is called joint cartilage; this is a smooth, shiny material that covers the bones in the knee joint and allows the knee bones to move easily.
One of the main causes of knee pain is osteoarthritis, which is the most common type of arthritis that causes inflammation of a joint, in this case it would be arthritis in the knee. Osteoarthritis affects the articular cartilage in the knee, which becomes thin or ruptured due to wear. After a long time, the cartilage can completely “wear away” causing the bones to rub against each other, resulting in knee pain.
Tips to relieve knee pain
– Give your knee enough rest to recover, but move it occasionally.
– Give your knee a light massage, possibly with massage oil.
– Place the legs a bit higher, as a result of which swelling can decrease. This can be done with a pillow, for example.
– Try to walk, movement can decrease the pain in the knee.
– Wrap ice cubes in a towel and put it around for about 15 minutes, longer is not recommended due to the cold.
– While sleeping, put a pillow between your legs so that your knees do not press against each other continuously, this is also possible with our knee pillows.